Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Elf

You may be wondering why I have a picture of an elf on the blog.
Well, when I was growing up, my grandma would decorate the whole house with these little elves every Christmas. They were everywhere you looked.
When I saw this little elf at a yard sale last weekend for a quarter, I got so excited! So many childhood memories came flooding back.
I loved seeing these little elves over Christmas, and she would let me play with them before they were put away for another year.
My grandma died when I was 7, but I have so many wonderful memories of her.
I still have the dressing table that she used every day to put her make-up on.
I love the perfume she wore, Youth Dew in the blue bottle, which is my favorite perfume today. I still use the same night cream that she used (from Mary Kay.)
I always remember her saying “never go to bed with your make-up on.” It does not matter how tired I am; I still follow her advice.
She loved shoes, jewelry, purses and clothes as much has I do. There are times that my mom will say to me, “Look at that shirt you have on, it is something my mom would have worn.”
I also have to remember when I look at picture of her all dressed and looking so pretty, that she was a size 14. So, when I get disgusted that I wear a size 14, I need to remember her and how beautiful and curvy she was. That being curvy and full figured runs in the family.
Even though she has been in heaven for a long time, I still miss her.
I am so thankful that she was in my life, even if it was for such a short time. I am glad that I am so much like her in many, many ways.

Here is a picture of her green dressing table I use everyday.


No comments: